What is Joomla?
Put simply, Joomla is a Content Management System (CMS). So, what does that mean? A content management system is software that keeps track of every piece of content on your Web site, much like your local public library keeps track of books and stores them. Content can be simple text, photos, music, video, documents, or just about anything you can think of. A major advantage of using a CMS is that it requires almost no technical skill or knowledge to manage. Since the CMS manages all your content, you don't have to. Best of all Joomla is open source, meaning it is free for everyone.
Does it cost more for a Joomla Website?
What kind of features can I get with a Joomla website?
Joomla will allow us at Inline Web Design to create a website for you which works flawlessly, looks beautiful and offers any features that can be created on a standard website. Because Joomla is open source there are many "Plug-Ins" already created which provide any number of additional features, many at no charge. Here are a few of the features available with Joomla:
- Polls (Joomla has a built-in ability to include a poll on your website, an excellent way to get feedback from your clientele)
- E-Commerce (as with Joomla's other features, their e-commerce feature Virtuemart, once set up, will allow you to add, delete or edit your own inventory)
- Catalog (Joomla offers several different catalog options, with or without adding e-commerce)
- Reservations (Joomla has several built in reservation features)
- Blog (because Joomla has a built-in blog feature you can save hundreds on setting up a blog through Joomla)
- Scrolling photos and slideshows (Joomla offers built-in scrolling photos and slideshows, making the addition of either of these features less expensive)
- Social Directories
- Magazing or Newspaper Publications
- Classified Ads
- Advanced Search Ability
- Search Engine Friendly
For a more complete list of "Extensions" feel free to click here to visit Joomla.org
Here at Inline Web Design we are happy to offer you the freedom to manage and update your own website. Once we complete your Joomla website we include a thorough write-up explaining how to change your content in addition to providing a tutorial over the phone to help walk you through the process.